The Governor’s Commission on Service and Volunteerism announced the winners of the 2013 Volunteer Service Awards this week. Eight recipients have been recognized with the honor, considered the most prestigious award of its kind in the State of Arizona.
Held annually since 2002, the Volunteer Service Awards recognize and honor Arizonians who have dedicated their time and talents to help Arizona communities and citizens most in-need. Each of the individuals and groups nominated for an award has demonstrated exceptional community service throughout the state over the past year.
Each year, a statewide panel of judges evaluates nominees based on need, action, innovation and impact of their service. This year, eight winners were chosen. They include:
Lifetime Achievement Category
• Sjors Horstman (Grand Canyon)
• Dr. Leon Cattolico (Clarkdale)
National Service Category
• Cason Murphy (Prescott)
• Jason Auh (Scottsdale)
Large Organization Category
• US Airways Do Crew, Phoenix Chapter (Phoenix)
Small Organization Category
• Pinal County Juvenile Court Community Advisory Board (Florence)
• Valley Assistance Services (Green Valley)
Youth Group Category
• Cottonwood Youth Advisory Commission (Cottonwood)
The winners were honored Friday, April 26, in Mesa, at a luncheon hosted by the Governor’s Commission on Service and Volunteerism.