ASU Democrats Race To Register, Lock In Millennial Voters For 2016 Election

Kaylan Fodor (right) talks to an ASU student about voting on the Tempe campus Friday, Sept. 23. (Photo by Brian Fore/Cronkite News)

By Danielle Quijada

PHOENIX – Kaylan Fodor stood in the hot sun outside of the Arizona State University Memorial Union. Despite her efforts to stop them, students rushed past her.

They were disinterested in her goal of helping the Democratic Party register 10,000 voters by Oct. 10.

Millennials, she said, “will scream until they’re blue in the face on Facebook.” But many won’t vote. They won’t even register to vote.

“I do think this is going to be a critical election for millennials to get out and vote because they are expressing their opinions all over social media, but it doesn’t mean anything unless they get out and put it on paper,” said Fodor, 21, an ASU student and member of the ASU Young Democrats.

Registering eligible Millennial voters can be frustrating, even at ASU, which has more than 70,000 full-immersion students and a large pool of eligible voters. Millennials are disenchanted with both parties this election season, and although they trend Democratic the party is having difficulty locking in their votes.

According to the Arizona Secretary of State website, the roster of registered Democrats has grown from just under 1 million in January 2015 to 1,019,050 today.

Republicans continue to outnumber Democrats and register new voters in Arizona. In January 2015, there were 1,113,991 registered Republicans; today there are 1,185,023 registered Republicans, the secretary of state website reports.

The total of registered independent voters has decreased. In January 2015 there were 1,167,083 such voters, the secretary of state website says. Today there are 1,164,373 registered “others.”

The ASU Young Democrats, with about 80 members, has weekly meetings where they “engage” students in political discussions and create plans for recruitment efforts, Austin Marshall, the club’s president, said in a recent phone interview.

-Cronkite News video by Brian Fore

Marshall could not provide the number of voters the group has registered before the publication deadline, but he said in a text message he was pleased with the numbers, but the group still has a lot of “hard work” before the Oct. 10 registration deadline.To register voters, the club sets up tables on campus and launched an “aggressive” social media presence to draw members in, Marshall said. The group focuses on recruiting minority voters. Members also man phone banks for the party.“The Latino vote is paramount,” Marshall said. “We want to make sure as many Latino students raise their voice as possible and have a say in the way our country is going”“People recognize the gravity of this election, they recognize the consequences for what a Trump presidency would mean for students and the atrocious things he proposed for Latino community,” Marshall said.

“Making sure students are engaged is our ultimate goal,” Marshall said. “Making sure the student voice is heard whether it’s Democrat or Republican.”

Fodor, the ASU student Democrat who recruits voters on campus, said she was driven into her political activism after seeing her mother battle unequal pay and gender discrimination as a teacher in a private school in Arizona.

“I can’t fathom how we live in the 21st century in a country that claims to be the greatest on Earth but still have this happening on a day-to-day basis,” Fodor said.

Fodor said her interest in politics revolves around health-care inequality, employment and women’s rights.

She said she wants to help others who have “stunted” opportunities to reach their full potential.

2 Comments

1. It is plain to see that she has been drinking the “DEMONcratic Kook Aide” that the college’s force them to drink these days, and has “Dumb Down” when it comes to the DEMONcratic party we currently have, as they are the reason that we are NOT the greatest county in the world anymore and, at best, on par with most nations now….It is obvious that she is in denial about the DEMONcratic party as they are the party that caused the
    “stunted opportunities” for women to advance she is talking about, also the high cost of Medical Care, the rise of ISIS, the loss of millions of jobs, the Invasion of Criminal, Illegal, Alien, Invaders and now the Invasion of most likely Terrorist refugees who will maim and Murder people in our once great country.

The DEMONcratic party used to be the party of the people, but has turned itself into a self indulgent, Corrupted monster that actually harms people in MANY ways, and a danger to ALL of our RIGHT’S, LIBERTIES and LIVES…….GO TRUMP, GO TRUMP, GO TRUMP.

2. As youngsters we all want the world to be perfect so we gravitate to the left side of the aisle, but like fine wine as we age we mature we wise up and we gravitate to the right side of the aisle.
    Being a left wing wacko is great until you run out of others people money to pay for it all, once your footing the bill, conservatism looks pretty nice.

TOoT