Suns Not Leaving Phoenix Says Sarver

On Thursday, Robert Sarver, managing partner of the Phoenix Suns tweeted a video statement asserting that the Suns will not be leaving Phoenix.

“First and foremost, the Phoenix Suns are not leaving Phoenix,” said Sarver. “I am 100 percent committed, and have been for the last four years, to find a solution keep them in downtown Phoenix where they belong. I am a strong proponent, as evidenced by the term sheet that I signed last week, that we should renovate the Talking Stick Resort Arena and once again restore it to a world-class facility.

“In addition, it is important for the Phoenix Suns to build a first-class practice facility, so the players of the Suns and the Phoenix Mercury can continue to develop. I am 100 percent all-in in keeping this team right here where we stand, and I want to make sure that message comes across crystal clear to every one of you.”

On Wednesday, the Phoenix City Council put off a vote on whether to spend $150 million taxpayer dollars to renovate the Talking Stick Resort Arena at the request of City Manager Ed Zuercher. Zuercher requested that the agenda item be moved to January 23, in order for Phoenix residents “to learn more about the proposal and provide input.” The total cost of the renovations are expected to be $230 million.