Dolphinaris Arizona has announced the death of an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin named Khloe. The female dolphin died December 30 following a long, chronic illness that had affected her over the last six years, according to the company.
The 11-year-old Khloe joined Dolphinaris Arizona in 2016.
“This is an extremely sad day for our team at Dolphinaris Arizona,” said Christian Schaeffer, General Manager. “Prior to her arrival at Dolphinaris, Khloe struggled with chronic illness due to a parasite called Sarcocystis, which can affect mammals, including dolphins. This infection usually causes severe central nervous system and muscle disease, as well as weakens the immune system to other pathogens. Her condition has been managed with exceptional veterinary care for nearly six years as we called on dolphin experts globally to determine treatments that extended her life.”
The mortality rate of Sarcocystis is very high. A necropsy (animal autopsy) will be conducted.
Khloe is the second dolphin to die at the facility this year and the third since the facility opened.