State routes 261 and 273 in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona will close for the winter on Tuesday, Jan. 2, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. They are among a handful of routes across the state that close for the winter and reopen in the spring.
- State Route 261 will close between milepost 404.9, several miles south of State Route 260, and the SR 273 junction at Crescent Lake.
- State Route 273 will close between Sunrise Park and Big Lake. The 4-mile portion of SR 273 between SR 260 and Sunrise Park remains open to provide access to the ski area.
Three other highways have already closed for the winter.
- State Route 67 between Jacob Lake (US 89A) and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park.
- State Route 473 to Hawley Lake in the White Mountains.
- A portion of State Route 366 that leads up Mount Graham near Safford.