Maricopa County To Rely ‘Completely On County Employees’ For Next Election

Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes explains the county’s plan to take corrective actions after glitches in August’s primary election. (Photo by Gina Dattolo/Cronkite News)

By Gina Dattolo

PHOENIX – Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes said Wednesday the county will use employees instead of contractors in the November election, a move to avoid the computer problems that spurred widespread delays and voter anger in the primary election.

Fontes, who blamed contractors for computer equipment and other technical difficulties at 62 polling locations in the Aug. 28 primary, said at a news conference he’s confident employees can best handle the Nov. 6 general election.

Related story
Election Day: Computer problems at polls vex voters in Maricopa County

“We are not going to be using that same contractor,” he said. “We are going to go back to relying completely on county employees because we know that our county employees are dedicated professionals.”

Fontes also pledged to communicate better with voters. He had said the county knew the day before the election there were problems at some polling locations but believed most had been taken care of by election day. However, dozens of voters complained they waited hours to vote, had to return or were directed to vote elsewhere.

“We’re making sure that we not only learn the lesson that we have to communicate better, but execute on that lesson and try to communicate better,” Fontes said. “We have apologized to the voters that were affected and impacted by this.”

Volunteers will still be needed to help at voters at the polls.

Residents who want to volunteer with the Maricopa County Recorder and Elections Department can fill out an application on the county’s website.

6 Comments on "Maricopa County To Rely ‘Completely On County Employees’ For Next Election"

  1. Oh $h!t…
    Now nobody will ever get to vote…

  2. I guess if county employees had been in charge of the process last time everything would have gone perfectly, huh? I’ll remember not to vote for Insight.com in the next election. Or Adrian Fontes.

  3. He is already failing and needs to go.
    He wants to change elections to mail in only. He wants the precinct level voting to look bad. It is easier to fix elections if they get to centralize the voting.
    He needs to go.
    BTW he own a award in May for this failed sign in system. Typical democrat. Everything they touch is a disaster then they get rewarded for it.

    Cannot trust them to do anything ESPECIALLY COUNTING THE VOTES!!!

  4. Guarantees the lines at the polling places with be even longer

  5. Bring back Helen Purcell!!!!! She did a GREAT job until Michelle Reagan and her cohorts got her thrown out because of (Reagan’s) own misdeeds. Fontes is a (now-proven) disaster and should be fired. It is all an intentional scheme to keep legitimate voters from voting or steer the voting to mail-in only or electronic; which, frankly, I believe are rife with opportunities for fraud and election-tampering.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*