In fact, the New York Times reported that a record number of seniors over 65 have filed for bankruptcy as people live longer and recessions have caused retirement accounts to vanish. Additionally, too many seniors are living in poverty and are victims of fraud and violence.
The study analyzed the most recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau in five categories: fraud, housing costs, 65+ population living in poverty, violent-injury deaths among 65+, and 65+ living alone as percentage of state’s population.
Arizona rankings or the five categories:
- Fraud: 40th (687 per 100,000 people)
- Monthly Housing Cost: 34th ($972)
- Percentage Living in Poverty: 30th (9%)
- Violent Injury Death Rate: 47th (24.8 per 100,000 people)
- Living Alone: 14th (3.71%)