Armed suspect, 20, shot to death In Flagstaff after wounding trooper

FLAGSTAFF — A 20-year-old Flagstaff man was shot to death by state troopers Wednesday night after he allegedly opened fire, injuring one trooper in his hand, following  a high speed chase.

Marcus Gishal, who was previously arrested in 2017 after allegedly scuffling with police while armed with a handgun, was pronounced dead at the scene, said a release from the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

On Wednesday, a state police officer attempted to stop a black 1990 Isuzu Amigo SUV for a traffic violation at 7:42 p.m. Wednesday.

The driver appeared to comply as he  stopped in a Maverick gas station on Kaibab Lane. After the trooper exited his patrol vehicle,  the driver accelerated from the scene,  leading the police on a high speed chase.

The driver and a passenger abandoned the SUV in a residential area and fled on foot. The trooper that has been in pursuit did not give chase. Instead he coordinated a search perimeter.

Additional troopers, Flagstaff Police Department officers and an AZDPS Ranger helicopter crew assisted in a search of the suspects for about an hour.

At about  8:44 p.m., a resident called 911 and reported seeing the suspects in the area. Less than 10 minutes later, the suspects were located in front of a residence on Topeka Avenue.

As troopers approached both suspects, Gishal pointed a handgun toward the troopers and fired, striking one of them in the left hand.  Troopers returned fire and struck Gishal.

The second suspect, identified as 20-year-old Preston Oszust, of Flagstaff, was also struck by gunfire. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was reportedly in critical condition.

Oszust, who is facing new charges for his involvement in the incident, had an outstanding felony warrant for a probation violation.

The injured trooper was transported to a hospital. He was treated for his gunshot wound and released.

The three other troopers involved in the shooting  were not injured. One of those trooper is a five-year department veteran of the Department; the other two have each served for two years.

In Gishal’s previous encounter with police, on November 6, 2017, a trooper encountered Gishal during a traffic stop in the Flagstaff area.

As the trooper attempted to arrest Gishal on a narcotics charge, he resisted. After a fight that lasted several minutes, the trooper took Gishal into custody, the department’s release said. Bishal possessed a handgun in his waistband as well as marijuana and other drugs which he intended to sell.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.