Grand Canyon – The U.S. National Park Service is seeking a few skilled hunters to assist with the removal of bison on the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park in the fall of 2021.
The National Park Service (NPS) is concerned about increased impacts on park resources such as water, vegetation, soils, archaeological sites and values such as visitor experience and wilderness character given the current distribution, abundance, density and the expected growth of the bison herd on the North Rim.
Experts say reducing the herd size will protect the park ecosystem, resources and values.
Individuals who are interested in applying to be volunteers can submit an application on the following website (www.azbisonstewards.com) beginning at 12 a.m. MST (Arizona) on May 3 through 11:59 p.m. MST on May 4, 2021. Volunteers must:
- Be U.S. citizens 18 years of age or older with valid photo ID
- Have the ability to purchase and pass a background investigation and have no criminal or wildlife violations
- Self-certify a high level of physical fitness ability
- Have a firearm safety certification and pass a marksmanship proficiency test (3 of 5 shots in a 4-inch circle at 100 yards)
- Provide their own equipment, firearm, lodging, food and field dressing supplies. See firearm FAQs.
- Be available for the entirety of one of the assigned lethal removal operational periods. Individuals may not participate in more than one: Sept. 20-24, 2021; Sept. 27-Oct 1, 2021; Oct. 18-22, 2021; Oct. 25-29, 2021
- Meet all additional requirements listed on www.azbisonstewards.com and the NPS FAQ page.
Only 25 applicants will be selected to form the pool from which 12 qualified individuals will be chosen to become a skilled volunteer. The volunteer pool will be selected using a random lottery system and selected individuals will be contacted by the NPS by May 17, 2021. At the end of the week, volunteers may be given up to one bison in exchange for removal by AZGFD. Employees of the National Park Service or other Department of the Interior agencies and the Arizona Game and Fish Department are not eligible to apply.