#Redfored Loses Steam, #Purpleforparents Grows

Listen to KFYI’s James T. Harris interview #purpleforparents member Dusti Martin.

Dusti Martin, a former teacher and wife of former State Treasurer Dean Martin, kicked off the #purpleforparents campaign this week, and already the group is growing. Martin’s group sprung from parents’ frustration with Arizona’s striking teachers and the resulting school closures.

Martin, a fiscal hawk and mother of two small children, joined supporters at the Capitol. With only three hours notice, over 50 of the group’s members arrived at the Capitol to share their concerns with lawmakers.

The group hopes to raise awareness about parents’ educational choices.

In an interview on KFYI’s James T. Harris show, Martin said her group supports Rep. Kelly Townsend’s demand that a provision be added to the budget that would increase the penalty for politicizing classrooms. Townsend’s provision is a result of parents, who expressed concerns about teachers using their classrooms, to promote the #redfored movement.

The national #redfored movement, focused on mobilizing educators to demand increasing teacher pay, is part of the Democratic Party’s strategy to “turn Arizona blue.”

Teachers, union members, and progressive activists shut down #redfored activities at the Arizona Capitol on Tuesday.

Schools across the state have been closed since last Thursday. The school closings have caused working parents to scramble to make arrangements for the care of their children. Parents had largely been supportive of the effort, but eventually began to question why schools remained closed after Governor Doug Ducey and the Legislature struck a deal to increase teacher pay by 20 percent by 2020.

43 Comments on "#Redfored Loses Steam, #Purpleforparents Grows"

1. Although I support teachers getting a fair paycheck, this walk out has caused me to totally lose any support for them. I’ve had too many friends with childcare issues because The school was closed. The other issue is where is all this money going to come from? I’ve seen no talk of making government more efficient and reducing the number of people in government who don’t have full-time jobs to help pay for the services that government should be supporting.

• Part of the problem is school districts management mis-managing the funding they all ready have. Here’s one example: tucson unified school district. They were awarded over 6 million dollars in federal funding! To create, improve,enrich school. What could responsible people do with over 6 million in funding for a large school district? A lot with left over to continue. What have they wasted it on? A program in just three schools called international bacleaurate.one of the schools schools high 30 some students 300,000 plus each year for this wasted program! Just for that one school! While the administrators have bloated salaries and teachers have to buy their own school supplies for the students! And that is just one small area where this bloated school district is wasting money and rippi,g off this community while they politicize education and indoctrinate students with their socialist agenda, for the good of the children!!!

• danzigzag | May 2, 2018 at 9:14 am |

IB a waste?

You have absolutely no clue.

IB offers students an incredible opportunity to be treated like and rewarded for beingva top-notch student.

Among the educated, IB us recignized as an incredibly rigorous academic pursuit.

Participants are welcomed into a community of learning that can and will open doors for students, doors mostly closed due to Arizina’s reputation as an educational backwater.

Of all the targets you could have identified, IB was the poorest choice.

Product of an Arizona education much?

• Money is coming from ; Hospital Assessment Fees, and Medicaid Drug rebates for two, that I saw on the TV news this morning. But I believe as History has taught me that this is just “blowing smoke up our Arse” The Taxpayer will get the hit and hard.
      Parents don’t put up with this BS, This morning I read that 67% of 8th graders are not proficient in reading and the same percentage in Math and this is nation wide.
      What kind of jobs do you think these kids are going to get? Get your kids out of these failing teachers grasp and head to Charter or Private school. Listen, I was and still am not rich, heck not even well off. But I sacrificed for my child to send her to private school, then to SSA Charter school, no tuition fee. I may have much but I am rich in my daughter’s success, she is happy and fairly well adjusted, Isn’t that reward in itself? For me it is. My life was negligible but my child’s was the future, because I love her.

• Me too! I don’t support the Mob-ocracy mentality and what a BAD example to set for our children that if they just have a temper-tantrum they get what they want. There are charter schools, however, who chose to not walk out and wait for the legislature to work on the budget. It will never be “enough money” for these money-grabbers and this is a big political movement to take over our state offices by Democrats and nothing more! It’s all about politics and NOT about the children! These teachers are being used as useful pawns!

2. This isn’t communism, it isn’t Dems or Repubs, it’s about the STUDENTS. I am a teacher and I know that funding is a problem in every area of education. A state that cares not for the state of education will take a short course to failure.

• Please, it quit being about the kids when you walked out. Don’t give me the BS story its about the kids. Its about the adults who have valid contracts that walked out on a work stoppage that was illegal. You knew what you would be paid when you signed your contract and yet that wasn’t enough. Why did you take the job then? I was an ex-teacher and like I said I call BS on the whole movement. How does it feel to be a sheep led by two millennials who don’t have a clue and think that socialism is the answer. Might want to check with the local boards and administrators who supported you with taxpayers money and find out why almost 60% of the public finds are used outside the classroom. Might want to do a little research and see how great a job you are doing and read the articles about the 8th graders that can’t read or do math. The results of the public school system are shameful and more money won’t fix the problems the adults have created. Yea, its about the kids, right. I don’t want to hear that ever again. Its about changing AZ from red to blue, anyone can see that.

• gruundehn | May 2, 2018 at 5:46 am |

The Teachers’ Union is not for the students, it is for the teachers. The students do not pay union dues nor elect union leaders. Any proposal the union puts forward is for the teachers first and foremost. There is never a benefit to the students unless there is at least as great a benefit to the teachers.

The Teachers’ Union has a valid place in any negotiations, so stop flying false flags and be honest.

• Dwayne Wolfswinkle | May 2, 2018 at 6:53 am |

If I hear its for the students one more time I’ll throw something at the television (won’t hurt myself) to stop the lying by self absorbed teachers. this is a right to work state not a right to steal from taxpayers. Our schools are not FAILING because Teachers are underpaid. Schools are failing because they are teaching drivel not the basics. the highest performing schools insist on the basic tools. The teachers spend too much time spreading their particular ideology instead of perhaps cursive writing or math. Perhaps they could even throw in a little reading instead of giving credit for protesting.

• danzigzag | May 2, 2018 at 9:19 am |

Yeah, teachers! You should be teaching cursive writing!

And while you’re at it, shuffle the gals off to sewing class while the boys blow off some steam on the playground.

The mid twentieth century called. It wants its curriculum back.

• Actually that is a good idea, I took both sewing and cooking in Middle school and I certainly benefited from that and the boys took wood working or auto mechanics.
          We both took dancing, first waltz,then current dance steps including “slow dancing”, Yeah that was very cool for us 8th graders. There is a whole generation of young people who can’t cook or fix their own cars, and you think that’s a good thing?

Listen danzigzag, just because it’s old or “twentieth century doesn’t mean it’s not good for us. What’s that line “whats old is new again”

• It’s about the students alright and getting them away from the failing teachers and schools. Answer me this is more money going to miraculously smarten up these kids to read better or solve simple math problems?
      The worn textbooks BS is just that BS.
      If teachers weren’t so busy lecturing on the glories of socialism or the re-conquering of Cali or by idiots ignorant of History, maybe they’d be able to read proficiently and solve 4+6=

• And one other thing Susie, the legislature is going to vote on legislation to give you your 20% raise this week. BUT THERE IS NO MONEY IN THE BILL FOR THE CLASSROOMS IS THERE? So Guess it never was about the kids or you would still be on the sidewalk? Am I right? I though so.

3. What, Again | May 2, 2018 at 5:27 am |

What a poor example for our children. The teachers have a giant pity party then throw a nasty tantrum to get what they want. They are certainly not qualified nor desired to be teaching our children. Their immaturity is embarrassing to all adults.

4. Excellent!! I support #purpleforparents. The other day last week, we were driving down Fort Lowell Road. A school that obviously didn’t close, must have been a charter school, had the kids at the fence of their school, wearing red T-shirt’s and we’re screaming at cars. If I was a parent of a child at that school, I wouldn’t want them outside screaming and waving at cars, I’d want them inside learning! Teachers, lots who didn’t have to walk out, but jumped on this bandwagon got the kids involved in inappropriate ways! #purpleforparents is just what we need! Bravo! I hope it gets something done on behalf of parents and kids that have been used as pawns in a political game.

5. I moved to AZ from NY where the tax rate is 5X higher and they STILL have all the same complaints about teacher pay, school funding, etc. OBVIOUSLY raising taxes does NOT work! I also agree with #PurpleforParents that when a worker signs a contract they MUST honor that contract. Finally, the District Administrators should be fired for closing the schools without cause. Obviously, they were forcing ALL teachers into a “walkout”. TOTALLY illegal!

6. Mario R. Gonzales | May 2, 2018 at 6:47 am |

It’s interesting that whenever anyone suggests more funding for education, health care, etc. the argument is always where will we get the money? Maybe the answer is same place we get it from to fund wars like Iraq, Afganisten, etc. or corporate welfare programs. Another thought is that schools and teachers should not be seen nor used as babysitting facilities. Parents should be responsible for arranging childcare for their children when not in school. I am proud of ALL school employees that walked out. Our conservative anti-education lawmakers needed a wake up call. It was successful, Ducy’s 1% grew to 20% because of the #Redfored movement.

• Mario R. Gonzales, perhaps you’re correct in saying that parents should be responsible for providing daycare for their kids, but you obviously don’t see that the fact that the law mandates that kids HAVE to be in school helps them with that and when the higher-ups change the game without much warning, it actually does put parents in a bind. Puts children out. If you can’t see that, you might just be too busy worrying about Federal monies and war than about kids at the local level.

Further, Governor Ducey offered 20% long before these teachers walked out. It wasn’t good enough for them. Perhaps it’s because the kids running that sideshow just wanted to grandstand for their own political motivation. Are you actually paying attention to the issue and all the details? I doubt it. You’re too busy jumping on the liberal bandwagon about all their worn-out talking points.

7. Operator Drew | May 2, 2018 at 6:54 am |

Teachers already make an avg of $47,000 in AZ, which is higher than the avg for a bachelor’s degree. When you prorate benefits, they earn $57,000.

Yet, they work only 9 months a year.

On top of that, we as a nation spend 986 billion a year on public education. That’s more than our military and nuclear arsenal.

How about you spend the money we’re already giving you more wisely?

Throwing more money at the problem only seems to make our test scores worse. It’s also too difficult to fire a government teacher. The bigger problem is with far leftist extremist teachers who are still employed, yet parents would fire them in the blink of an eye if they could.

8. Fedupvet | May 2, 2018 at 7:21 am |

Just a FYI, years ago Jan Brewer took away teacher tenure. They can be fired without reason. I taught for 15 years in TUSD. I had high school students that couldn’t even write simple sentences, spell and I was lucky to be able to read their writing. This walkout is BS.

9. Dwayne Wolfswinkle | May 2, 2018 at 7:25 am |

School funding should follow the Student no matter what school the PARENTS CHOOSE to send their children to id the school is recognized by the State of Arizona including private schools. the goal is a quality education. There is nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

• I agree and urge all to Vote Yes on Prop. 305 to keep and expand our state school voucher-style program. The Teachers are against it and urge to vote this out as they full well know that parents will begin the migration to Private schools and also find the best Charter schools. (Not all Charter schools are equal.) I decided to send my child to a Charter school because I was getting laid off in the housing bubble fiasco and could no longer afford the tuition at her private school.( I was an Estimator)
      I researched Charter schools and one stood out as I passed it every day, my child graduated from that school 5 yrs later. They are a K-12 and I was very happy with them. The Home visits where we discussed my child’s goals and our expectations, the close supervision but fun activities, the numerous after school clubs, photography,chess, drama etc and the after school care,and more importantly her grades climbing up, won me over.
      Parents, do research, check your budget and where cuts can be made for Private school. Remember Charter schools are free.
      I drove out of my way to get her to school then drove the other way to get to work, but Hey, I loved it, the radio was playing and it gave me alone time before I picked her up and chores awaited me at home.
      Vote YES on Prop 305

10. This is a national score card, dont know where az fits in but it does say a lot for the profession as a whole. TOO much ME too little
    THEM (kids). I am around kids everyday and they dont seem to know much. All can use a ipad/iphone but those are mainly for ENTERTAINMENT. Most cannot read, write, do simple math or in reality carry on a coherent conversation! A new teacher makes as much if not more than me and the wife combined, yes I also have a degree to be a teacher but I went to other opportunities because I COULD. The old saw, those that can DO, those that cant TEACH, may in some instances be true. Yes there are some good dedicated teachers, our son is one but he feels inhibited by the admin types who dont want to move forward with programs to enhance the kids knowledge. When was the last time you heard about kids WANTING to be in a teachers classroom so they can LEARN something?

11. I love all these “I support teachers but…” it’s like the old “I’m not racist, because i have a black friend” or a million different twists to the same story… when you start your post with that, it’s clearly obvious you don’t support teachers and worse you really don’t support public education… sad to see so many that believe that…

• Well I think you need to reevaluate what you believe to be said. You can support the ‘ed’ but you do not need to support what is presently going on. Public education needs to be cleaned up to have full support, again read the different news sources and see where the state of education is. Many note that some states throw a lot of $$ at the issue only to have the same problems, so it would not appear to be a real $$ problem but a quality teacher problem. I spoke with a charter school teacher last evening, she told me they got last thursday off to participate and that was it. She did not know the consequences of a prolonged absence so she went back to work as required. So there is more to the story than is told overall.

But as you stated in your post, the lefts if you dont blindly support me all the way and speak the party line you are a ________ and are not true to what you are saying. That is just as sad to use your own words.

• Why would anyone support public education when the nation’s scores are so low? Why, when Johnnie can’t read and little Susie is clueless in Math?
      What is sad is how our kids are being let down by teachers who not only can’t teach but are greedy to boot!
      if we are to save our kids from a poor education then the Education Revolution needs to start now and it starts with Purple for Parents and the Great Migration from those failing schools.

12. Wallace V | May 2, 2018 at 9:01 am |

Go Purple! It’s about time the parents had a say in the political swamp they call public education. Take your schools back from the socialist indoctrinaters.

13. Tired of BEING ROBBED! | May 2, 2018 at 9:58 am |

Void the contracts of everyone of the teachers that refuse to go to work. If they want their job back, they have to reapply. Offer them the contract but with a clause that includes behavior standards as well as the certifications they have to have. This is again, the tail wagging the dog. Ducey had said he wasn’t going to raise taxes. He is a lier. He will make sure he gets it on the “desegregation” tax he said he is adding to property taxes. When there are administrative officials making 6 figure salaries that isn’t “public service”.

• “Offer them the contract but with a clause that includes behavior standards as well as the certifications they have to have.” Don’t the contracts already stipulate those things? Doesn’t the state mandate they have all kinds of certificates BEFORE they have to sign a contract? I just looked at the ADE website, and it doesn’t look like they are just printing those things at Staples. Or are you just talking about “behavior?” What exactly would we put in as “behavior standards?”

14. Go Purple!!!
    Redfored could have been a good cause but it was hi jacked by political fascists. Obvious!

• Reports indicate that TUSD will NOT return to classes on Thursday; the other school districts reportedly are restarting classes that day. TUSD is the worst of the state’s school districts and should be disbanded immediately. Ducey can act on this to applause.

• Couldn’t have said it better!

15. borderbill (a NIMBY/BANANA) | May 2, 2018 at 12:22 pm |

“It’s for the children.” Bullshit! Why are the alleged teachers wearing red on the first of May (“Mayday”). This union-run-by-a-(sort of)music teacher is for the social justice types.

16. I am an Arizona retired teacher and this strike (it is a strike, not a walkout!) is repugnant! You had Thursday and Friday-okay. The message was out. Why are you NOT in school this week? You are sitting and waiting for the legislature and you are not satisfied with what is happening! The word is “negotiate” and maybe you should look that up! You are being led by three organizations that are Democratic led. NEA and AEA are Democratic-led organizations. Look it up. You are NOT for the kids and like someone said, I think I will barf if I hear that one more time.
    Yes, teachers need more pay, but now you have put parents, families and kids in harm’s way. This should have ended on Friday. You are being used as pawns and the parents and students are the ones losing out! Enough!!!

• Agreed! I am a school counselor that is also a certified teacher. I offered to take over a class that I am certified to teach and was told ‘no.’

I agree that if this were truly about the kids, the first demand would have been for their classroom, not teacher salaries. #redfored is led by a first year teacher on a provisional certificate. Why is he complaining? I have been in my district for 25 years and was recently slapped with a $500. raise while new teachers got thousands. Districts and governing boards need to be held accountable in how they are choosing to spend funds.

I just want to be with my kids and I can’t even get on my campus….

17. #SHAMEONREDED

18. Me and my daughters mother have to pay for math tutor twice a week to help her get her skills up. We have her in TUSD but going charter next year. We as parents have no choice but to do this action for our child.

19. I have thought long and hard before I wrote this. I myself have started many unions, and I have decertified many unions. I have worked intensively with the NLRB, and I have worked with committees to get though federal desegregations orders for many cities. It took sometimes tens years but we did it. It seems that Tucson needs to realize that this city cannot be run by a half Mexican government and a half United States government. Now days one is lucky to work for an employer that offers any contract to an employee by today’s standards. If you’re luckily enough to work for an employer that offers you work under a contract you should abide by your contact until it expires. At that time, your options are open. Just because you want to live in Arizona does not mean you control the supply and demand; remember “PATCO.” All college degrees are worth where ever you can find a person to play you the most money. That means you might need to relocate. If money is not that important to you and you can make a living, live where you want to. I could go on but, we need people that have my past experience with public school systems and working with federal agencies without this mental model of a half Mexican government and a half United States government. With 11 years of college and four college degrees I have lived inside of the system and outside of the system. Just my two cents.

20. I have thought long and hard before I wrote this. I myself have started many unions, and I have decertified many unions. I have worked intensively with the NLRB, and I have worked with committees to get though federal desegregations orders for many cities. It took sometimes tens years but we did it. It seems that Tucson needs to realize that this city cannot be run by a half Mexican government and a half United States government. Now days one is lucky to work for an employer that offers any contract to an employee by today’s standards. If you’re luckily enough to work for an employer that offers you work under a contract you should abide by your contact until it expires. At that time, your options are open. Just because you want to live in Arizona does not mean you control the supply and demand; remember “PATCO.” All college degrees are worth where ever you can find a person to pay you the most money. That means you might need to relocate. If money is not that important to you and you can make a living, live where you want to. I could go on but, we need people that have my past experience with public school systems and working with federal agencies without this mental model of a half Mexican government and a half United States government. With 11 years of college and four college degrees I have lived inside of the system and outside of the system. Just my two cents.

• I hate to says this, but most Arizonans have no clue what PATCO was. The history books aren’t that modern in the typical classroom. But the notion of getting what you pay for is a good one. I am not sure what the “half Mexican, half US” means. Seems to be some sort of gloss. Everyone who points out national education statistics is flat out missing a key point. The US is not in the education business. The states are the owners of their own public education. So when you want to make an international comparison, compare Arizona students to Chinese, or Finn or what ever nationality you choose. I can agree on this, market economics are at play. Other states, such as Nevade, have figured it out. A well educated workforce is a key to a growing economy. One of Arizona’z largest exports to Nevada, California and other states that offer more money is qualified and certified teachers. So, money really does talk.